For a lot of reasons people don’t like to get older. But there are a few advantages, too, if you look for them. Here are some:
- Getting to know your own kids as adults.
- You know things now you didn’t know then.
- Ideas, aspirations, goals, in time, turn into “successful failures” or achievements, but either way, a life of your own making.
- You come to understand that “This too shall pass,” a maturing and an enormously liberating grasp of reality.
- You learn giving really is better than receiving. (BTW, I have a cat to give to you—give me a call).
- Come to understand that most parents and most pastors were right after all.
- Learn that grandchildren are great when the come (to your house) and great when they go (to their house).
- See more rainbows.
- Realize that the pursuit of happiness can be an unending tyranny, whether briefly attained or not.
- Learn that money matters, but not as much as we think.
- Realize that “Just Married” is great, but “Still Married” is better.
- You get to see “how you turned out.”
© Rex M. Rogers – All Rights Reserved, 2010
*This blog may be reproduced in whole or in part with a full attribution statement. Contact Dr. Rogers or read more commentary on current issues and events at www.rexmrogers.com or follow Dr. Rogers at www.twitter.com/RexMRogers.